I have been practicing on the longarm machine at the shop so I can get good enough to do some customer quilts. Nothing fancy yet, just a simple meander. Which is very easy, but it had been a long time since I used a longarm, and was a bit rusty. By the second quilt, my muscle memory started to come back, and my curves are looking like curves again, instead of jagged, over caffeinated chicken scratch. It helped a lot once I found the flux capacitor and was able to turn up the speed. I was going super duper fast, and I loved it! The first quilt had a few spots where the stitches were a bit long, and I had to constantly remind myself to slow down. Longarms have a dial that goes from 0-100, meaning the percentage of the speed at which it is operating.. I was rockin’ 80. It was totally rad.
I love loopy swoopy designs, and that is what I did on this quilt. After I was done, I wished I had done it a little more densely, but it certainly is enough quilting, as far as holding it all together. I used a variegated Aurifil thread, 50 weight poly. I used Quilter’s Dream Poly, and I LOVE this batting. I’ve used it before, so it’s nothing new, but it has been a while since I got the “good” stuff. Which is funny, actually, because I recently realized I have been over paying for batting from Hobby Lobby, (even with my coupon) and settling for a lesser quality than what I really wanted in my quilt. This dream poly has a wonderful drape and softness. And the texture actually helps when floating a top on the longarm, because it sort of grips it better. When I was quilting all the way to the edge of the borders, I didn’t have to baste or pin the edge down. The top clung to the batting, and stayed in place very nicely! I used an orange dot for the back, and the leftover bits may become the binding, unless I see a stripe in my stash that will work better. That’s a job for tomorrow. For now, I need to go fall asleep with a quilty magazine stuck to my face. I’m exhausted.